Sweet pidi kozhukattai recipe – A simple and sweet pidi kozhukattai made for vinayaga chathurthi.
Ganesh chaturthi is around the corner, so I thought this would be the right time to post the recipe of sweet pidi kozhukattai. Along with sweet pidi kozhukattai, I also made kara pidi kozhukattai. If you ask me which one is my favorite, I would say sweet pidi kozhukattai.
Generally, I prefer sweets to savories. I made sweet pidi kozhukattai for my family and also for a north indian friend who loves to taste south indian recipes. Both the kozhukattai are super easy and simple to make. That evening, sanvi and shreeya kept me busy all the time. By the time, I finished making sweet pidi kozhukattai, it became quite late. So I could give only the sweet kozhukattai version to my friend, but promised to her that I would make the kara pidi kozhukattai for the upcoming vinayaga chaturthi. Both my family and friend liked it so much.
When I offered it to sanvi, she hesitated little and then liked it so much. Sanvi said, “amma, next time you should add 2 gallons of sweet”. I think she meant add more cups of sugar…Hope you all like the sweet pidi kozhukattai recipe.
Raw rice – 1/2 cup
Jaggery/vellam – 1/2 cup
Water – 2 cups
Grated coconut – 3 tbsp
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Grind raw rice coarsely (more like rava consistency) in a blender and keep them aside.
2. In a non stick pan, add water and jaggery. Boil well until jaggery dissolves completely.3. Strain the jaggery and add it to a non-stick pan. Now, heat jaggery and let it come to a rolling boil. The jaggery syrup should be in a running consistency. Add the coarse rice mixture, coconut and cardamom powder.
4. Now in low flame, stir well and cook for four more minutes. Close the pan with a lid. Open the lid and see if the rice mixture has been cooked. Make sure you stir on and off otherwise it might get burnt at the bottom.
5. The mixture will start to thicken. Once the mixture thickens, switch off, and allow the mixture to cool down completely. Meantime, grease your hands with ghee or oil and then pinch a portion of the mixture and make cylindrical shape. Press it with your fingers and leave impressions on it. Arrange it in a plate. Do the same for the remaining dough.
6. Arrange them in an idly plate and steam them for 8 to 10 minutes in an idly cooker.
Now sweet pidi kozhukattai is ready!
- Make sure you do not too much water.
- When you add the rice, the jaggery syrup should be in a running consistency. Only then the rice would be cooked.
- Before you cool the rice mixture completely, make sure the rice mixture is boiled.
Sweet pidi kozhukattai recipe, vellam kozhukattai recipe below: