Tandoori murgh recipe – An authentic and mouth-watering chicken dish made by marinating and grilling chicken.
My mom makes tandoori murgh very well. She makes restaurant style tandoori chicken and my father love sit. Gj loves the tandoori chicken that my mom makes. This time when she came here, I learned the trick from her.
I wanted to post this recipe few months back but I somehow forgot to take picture of the last step. Finally I made the tandoori murgh again last weekend. As usual, tandoori murgh turned out well. You can two sets of pictures in this post: one was taken few months ago and the other one was taken last weekend. Here comes the recipe of tandoori murgh.
Other chicken starter recipes that you might be interested are:
chicken 65 (using curd)
chicken kola urundai
chicken seekh kabab
tandoori chicken (another version)
Chicken legs – 1 kg
Butter – 120gm
Kashmiri chilli powder – 10gm
Curd/yoghurt – 1/2 litre
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Black salt – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Red color – a pinch
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder/milaga thool – 2 tsp
Coriander powder/daniya thool – 3 tsp
Pickle – 4 tbsp (preferably mango)
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Prick the flesh of the chicken all over with a fork. Then, using a sharp knife, cut deep slits in 2 to 3 places on the leg/thigh pieces of each chicken. The knife needs to touch the bone. The slits should be deep and big. This will allow the marinade to penetrate well, and the chicken will absorb flavors. In a mixing bowl, add butter, curd/yogurt, kashmiri chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, ginger garlic paste, saffron/red color, and black salt. Taste the marinade for salt and spice and adjust accordingly. At this stage, salt and spice should taste extra strong.
- Yogurt/curd needs to be thick so that it sticks to the chicken properly.
- If you have taken curd/yogurt straight from the refrigerator, then let it come to room temperature otherwise it may curdle.
- Sometimes, the color of the marinade may stick to the mixing bowl well. You may find it difficult to wash. In order to avoid this, you could put the marinade in the ziplock bags/plastic bags.
2. Add chicken and combine them well. Place four tablespoon of pickle on a plate.
3. Then apply the pickle all over the chicken. Marinade the chicken for about 10 to 12 minutes. Then cook the chicken in whichever method you prefer. I have broiled the chicken.
Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is in medium-high heat, add the chicken pieces carefully. If the oil is very hot, then the chicken may have cooked well outside and stay raw inside. You should fry the chicken until the chicken is cooked inside and turns dark red/brown outside.
Oven – Broiler
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cover the baking pan with an aluminum foil. Wipe the excess marinade off the chickens, and place the marinated chicken on the aluminum foil or baking pan. The chicken pieces should not touch each other. Leave enough space between them. Then, place the baking pan in the center rack of the oven. Broil the chicken for 15 to 20 minutes. Now, take out the baking tray and using a thong, turn the chicken pieces over and broil again for an additional 15 minutes. If you see chicken caramelizing, do not panic. The burning flavor will give a unique taste to the chicken.
- Oven timings varies with each oven so make sure you check yours carefully.
- If the chicken pieces are cooked on low heat, then the chicken will become tough once cooked.
4. When the chicken turns golden brown and cooked, then remove it. Using a tong, cook the chicken on all sides on direct fire for about a minute.Now, tandoori murgh is ready! Garnish tandoori chicken with coriander leaves, lemon wedges, slices of cucumber, and red onion.