I wanted to post Thandai recipe last year but was running short of time. Shreeya and Sanvi kept me on my heels. Shreeya was only three months old last year at this time so I barely found time for my blog. This morning, I made Thandai and served it as a drink for lunch. Gj loved it and it was a pleasant surprise for him.
As I am writing this post, Sanvi is sleeping so once she gets up, I am planning to give it to her. She is a big fan of almond so she is going to love it for sure. Hope you all like it too.
Preparation Time. 30 minutes
Cook Time. 10 minutes
Recipe Reference. Tarladalal
Recipe Category. Beverage
Recipe Cuisine. North Indian
Serves. 2 cups
Milk – 2 cups (1/2 liter)
Sugar – 2 tablespoon
Saffron Strands – 8 to 10 strands
Rose Essence – 2 drops
Almonds – 20 nos.
Poppy Seeds – 1 teaspoon
Fennel Seeds – 1 teaspoon
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Peppercorns – 10 nos.
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Peel the almonds and soak all the ingredients under ‘items to grind’ in water for 30 minutes.
2. Then grind it to a fine paste and keep the ground paste aside.
3. Meantime, boil milk and then cool it down. Add sugar.
4. Meantime, soak saffron strands in a tablespoon of warm milk. In two minutes, saffron milk will turn yellow in color. Now add half of the saffron mixture to the milk.
5. Give a quick stir and then add the almond paste to the milk. Let it sit for 15 minutes. 6. By this time, the milk will turn even more yellow in color because the milk will absorb the saffron well. Now, strain the milk. 7. Discard the residue. Now add the remaining saffron milk along with two drops of rose water. With time, saffron will add more yellowish color to the drink and thats why one of my pictures shows yellowish Thandai and the rest of the pictures are light yellowish in color.Now, Thandai is ready! Refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes and serve chill.
- You can garnish with dried rose petals, chopped pistachios and almonds.
- Adding rose water is optional. If you like vanilla essence instead, add it.
- Once you add the almond mixture, give some resting time so that the milk gets blended well with the mixture.
- With time, saffron will give more yellowish color to the drink and thats why one of my picture shows yellowish Thandai and rest of the pictures are light yellowish in color.
Thandai Recipe below: