Toor dal tadka recipe – A popular and delicious indian dal recipe made with toor dal and seasoned with some spices.
Dal tadka is a very easy and quick recipe that you can make during your lazy days. This is Sanvi’s favorite dish, and she would have it every other day. I have posted a similar tadka recipes earlier in my blog like dal tadka and sindhi moong dal.
Toor dal tadka is a popular dish in India and cooked often in most of the households. It is very simple to make, and you can serve toor dal tadka with chappathi as well as rice.
If you are thinking why this is called dal tadka then let me explain it to you. Tadka in Hindi means tempering. In this dish, we cook dal and then temper it with the seasonings. You can also add any veggies you want. Lets learn to make this dal tadka recipe.
Toor dal/thuvaram paruppu (cooked) – 1/2 cup
Garlic cloves (finely chopped) – 6
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Pressure cook 1/2 cup of toor dal with 1 and 1/2 cups of water. Once the pressure releases, open the cooker carefully.
2. Mash it well. Now heat oil in a pan, and then add chopped garlic cloves, curry leaves and cumin seeds. Add the seasoning to the cooked dal along with little salt. Stir well.
Now, toor dal tadka is ready! Serve hot with a dash of ghee and poppadum.
- While tempering, you can add ghee + oil.
- The consistency of dal should be neither too thick nor too thin.
- If you wish, you could also add green chillies or red chillies.
- Dal would thicken with time, so switch the stove off accordingly.
- Instead of toor dal, you can use moong dal.
- You can also replace chopped garlic with ginger.
- You can also add sambar powder.
Toor dal tadka recipe below: