Vazhaipoo Vadai Recipe, Banana Flower Vadai
Vazhaipoo Vadai is one of my favorite Vadais. Cleaning vazhaipoo is a time consuming task, but the dishes we make from them just taste so good. When I have vazhaipoo in my hand, I will make Vazhaipoo Adai, Vazhaipoo Kootu (Banana Blossom Curry), Vazhaipoo Podimas, Vazhaipoo Poriyal etc.
I have heard my friends say that Vazhaipoo Paruppu Usili also tastes so good, but I am yet to try it. I make Vazhaipoo Vadai rarely at home because I don’t get it often and also for the reason that is deep fried. It tastes so good and perfect for a tea time snack. Your kids will also love it and eat it not knowing that it is a veggie.
Vazhaipoo (Banana Florets) – 3 cups
Channa Dal – 1 cup
Onion (Finely Chopped) – 1 no.
Green Chillies (Finely Chopped) – 3
Ginger (Finely Chopped) – 1 tablespoon
Garlic Cloves – 4 nos.
Fennel Seeds – 1 teaspoon
Coriander Leaves – little
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Oil – to deep fry
Salt – as required
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Clean the vazhaipoo and chop them finely. Soak channa dal in water for about 1 hour. Drain the water and transfer it to a mixer.
2. Grind it coarsely and set it aside. In a mixing bowl, add chopped vazhaipoo, turmeric powder, and salt.
3. Transfer it to a pan and boil it with a cup of water. Cook until the water is absorbed. Let it cool down.4. In a mixing bowl, add the cooked vazhaipoo, onion, green chillies, ginger, garlic, fennel seeds, curry leaves, coriander leaves, and salt. Combine well. Now, grease your hand with water and take a small portion and flatten it.
5. Do the same for the remaining mixture and arrange them in a plate. Heat oil for deep frying. Put a small pinch of dough into the oil if it raises immediately then the oil temperature is just perfect. Then deep fry the vadais unto golden brown. Drain them in a tissue paper.
Now, Vazhaipoo Vadai is ready! Serve hot wit tea.
- Deep fry the vadais in medium hot oil, otherwise it not be cooked inside.
- Drain/squeeze water completely from vazhaippo, if not it will absorb lot of oil.
- Just before frying, add onions and salt to the mixture if not it will leave water.
- Do not add water while grinding.
- If you think the vadai is watery, add a teaspoon of besan flour.
Vazhaipoo Vadai Recipe, Banana Flower Vadai recipe below: