Vendakkai Mor Kuzhambu Recipe, Okra Buttermilk Curry
Mor Kuzhambu is my all time favorite, and I would never say no to it. My mom would make Mor Kuzhambu on Fridays along with Potato Curry or Brinjal Pirattal. I think most of us love Mor Kuzhambu, and I have not seen any one who does not like this Mor Kuzhambu.
Vendakkai Mor Kuzhambu Recipe is a very easy and quick kuzhambu to make at home. Compared to other Mor Kuzhambu recipes that I have posted, this Vendakkai Mor Kuzhambu will be thicker and creamy in consistency.
Whenever I have some curd left that has to be finished within a day, then I would make Mor Kuzhambu recipe with the veggies I have at home. I have seen my friends making Palak Mor Kuzhambu too. Its been a while since I made Palak Mor Kuzhambu. Next time, I will make it and post it here. Coming to this recipe, it goes well with a spicy poriyal or varuval. It even goes well with Beans Paruppu Usili. Enjoy!
Vendakkai/Ladies’ Finger/Okra (cut into 1 inch piece) – 8 nos.
Curd – 2 cups
Turmeric Powder/Manjal Thool – 3/4 teaspoon
Salt – as desired
Toor Dal – 1 tablespoon
Channa Dal/Gram Dal/Kadalai Paruppu – 1 teaspoon
Fenugreek Seeds/Vendhayam – 1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida/Perungayam – a pinch
Coconut (Grated) – 3 tablespoon
Cumin Seeds/Seeragam – 1 teaspoon
Green Chillies – 2 nos.
Mustard Seeds/Kadugu – 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves/Karuvepillai – 1 sprig
Oil – 1 teaspoon
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Dry roast toor dal, channa dal, fenugreek seeds and asafoetida until golden brown.
2. Grind it finely along with coconut, cumin seeds, green chillies and little water. The ground mixture should be smooth or a fine paste.
3. Heat oil in a pan, and add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add the curry leaves followed by ladies’ finger. Saute till ladies’ finger stickiness have gone.
4. Meantime, in a mixing bowl add Curd, turmeric powder, salt and little water. Combine it well and keep it aside.
5. By this time, ladies’ finger would have turned little brown and the stickiness would have gone.Add the ground mixture and saute for two minutes. Now simmer the flame, add the curd mixture and stir well. Cook for one boil and when bubbles start appearing, switch off the stove.
Now, Vendakkai Mor Kuzhambu is ready! Serve hot with rice, spicy poriyal, varuval and poppadum.
- You can add boiled vegetables of you choice like drumstick, poosanikai, chow chow/chayote, colacasia/arbi/sepankizhangu, brinjal, urad dal vadai, ripe mango, thoothuvalai keerai, potato, cucumber, manathakkali vattral, sundakkai vattral, vendhaya keerai (fenugreek leaves) and surakkai etc.
- Do not forget to simmer the flame else it will curdle.
- Do not cover with lid and cook. The mixture will curdle.
- If you are using sour curd, whisk the curd well if not it will curdle.