Whole Brinjal Fry Recipe,Kathrikkai Fry Recipe
Whole Brinjal Fry,Kathirikkai Fry Recipe. A simple dry dish made with brinjals and very few simple ingredients. Whole brinjal fry goes well with Curd Rice and as a side dish to Rice.
I like brinal so much. I make a lot of recipes using brinjal. This whole brinjal fry is one such dish that I cook very often at home. When you look at the pictures, you may think it consumes lot of time or very difficult to make. On the contrary, this whole brinjal fry is very easy to make and quite different from our South Indian Brinjal fry. I learned this recipe from Saiva Samaiyal recipe book. Whenever I buy small brinjals, I would make this Whole Brinjal Fry.
This Whole Brinjal Fry goes well with Curd Rice or as a side dish for Rice.
Preparation Time. 5 minute
Cook Time. 10 minutes
Recipe Cuisine. South Indian
Recipe Category. Side
Shelf Life. 2 days
Small brinjals/pinju kathrikkai – 15
Chilli powder/milagai thool – 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds – 2 teaspoon
Curry leaves – 4 leaves
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Urad dal – 1/2 teaspoon
Sesame oil – 1/4 cup
Note. The ingredients shown will vary with the original quantity.
1. Remove brinjal’s crown and then using a knife, make a plus almost halfway through the center of the brinjal. Be careful while making the slit as we don’t want to slice the brinjal completely. Now heat oil in a pan, and let the mustard seeds splutter. Then add the urad dal and fry until golden brown.
2. Then add curry leaves and brinjal. Simmer the flame, close the lid, and cook for 5 minutes. Then open the lid and turn the brinjals over. Close the lid again and cook the brinjals for 5 more minutes. Cook until the brinjals turn soft and at the same time, the brinjal’s skin should shrink and wilt.
3. Meanwhile, dry roast mustard seeds until nice aroma comes, and then grind it to a fine powder.
4. Now add the chilli powder, salt and mustard seeds powder and saute it well for a minute. Switch it off.
Now, Whole Brinjal Fry is ready! Serve it with rice and curd rice.
- Shelf life of Whole Brinjal Fry is 2 days.
Whole Brinjal Fry Recipe,Kathrikkai Fry recipe below: